Events at The Birches Assisted Living
Upcoming Events (Click event to expand details)
September 12: Daughterhood Circle
- 09/12/2017 at 7:00 pm
- 09/12/2017 at 8:00 pm
- The Birches
- Daughterhood Circles are small groups who get together regularly to hang out, relax, and help each other navigate caring for their aging parents. Loving daughters of members at The Birches are starting this circle of support for the greater community, and those who are interested in developing this circle of support are welcomed to join us! At this time circles are meeting here at The Birches but meeting times/places may change depending on the groups' preferences (website will always reflect current location).RSVP your interest to our front desk at 630-789-1135 and we look forward to seeing you!Join the blog newsletter at daughterhood.org
September 13: An Overview of Parkinson's Disease
- 09/13/2017 at 7:00 pm
- 09/13/2017 at 8:30 pm
- The Birches Main Dining Room
- Presented by: Dr. Cindy Zadikoff, MD, Brittny Voakes, & Jessica BartschDr. Zadikoff. Associate Professor of Neurology & Medical Education at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, will give an overview of Parkinson’s Disease. She will discuss diagnosis, symptoms, progression, and treatment. Jessica Bartsch, a representative of the National Parkinson’s Foundation, will also discuss the mission and offerings of this innovative organization.
October 11: Creating Meaningful Moments for Someone with Dementia
- 10/11/2017 at 7:00 pm
- 10/11/2017 at 8:30 pm
- The Birches
Blough is a Certified Recreational Therapist and Certified Dementia
Practitioner with over twenty years of experience. In this presentation, she will discuss how to
engage someone with memory loss in a way that has purpose and dignity. She will detail the different types of
activities, but also communication approaches that can lead to poignant moments
of connection with a person with memory loss.
November 08: What are Dementia Drugs and What Do They Do?
- 11/08/2017 at 7:00 pm
- 11/08/2017 at 8:30 pm
- The Birches' Main Dining Room
- Dr. Nazimuddin, The Birches' visiting physician from
Midwest Geriatrics, and Steve Hiemenz, Pharmacy Manager at Elm Plaza Pharmacy,
will be providing a comprehensive overview of the types of prescription drugs
that typically are prescribed for various symptoms of dementia. The medications discussed will include memory
support, behavior medications, and more!